Friday, January 28, 2005

Life skills, coming back to haunt me

Overheard
"But Becka Boo, Bridge is a LIFE skill, you HAVE to learn how to play!"

Who
My grandma, Ga. (So named because my older brother, at 2 years old or so, couldn't muster up the lingual coordination* to say "Grandma." He also brilliantly nicknamed my other grandma "Cookie" because she always held out a cookie for him when she saw him)


My response
"Ga, NO ONE my age plays Bridge. I don't know ONE person. It is NOT a life skill if you never encounter anyone who plays Bridge." Besides, it's pretty hard to take life advice seriously when it's prefaced with "Becka Boo."

When
Oh, I don't know, she used to say this every few months when I was younger, trying to convince me that I would be a social outcast if I didn't learn a game that I considered to be, well, for those of my grandma's generation. Not to insult any bridge players, but you have to admit that the term "Bridge Club" doesn't exactly elicit images of youth and fun to a teenager. I submitted to one lesson, and one visit to Ga's Bridge game "with the girls" in Evanston when I was at Northwestern for college. It may have been the proudest day of her life (and could of course been improved upon had I actually been able to play).

Aftermath
Of course, I am now an adult (they say), and I was asked by a co-worker just this week if I wanted to get a group together to play Bridge occasionally. Jury's still out on whether these co-workers are "my age"** but I agreed, and will have to learn from scratch. Sigh. I do love cards. Silly of me to assume I could sneak through life without joining a Bridge Club. Thanks for trying Ga!

*i dont even know if "lingual coordination" is a thing
** just kidding guys :)



1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Teen said...

I had a class called Life Skills once. It was back in high school. We learned things such as filling out tax forms, reading classified job listings and making budgets. More importantly however we got to watch movies. Scandelous ones. All I really need to learn in life I learned through 'Sleeping with the Enemy, ' 'Daddy' and 'For the Love of Nancy'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home