WWOD?
Overheard
"If Owen were here, what would he say? NEVER GIVE UP!"
Who
Me, to Alex.
Where
My second CBP-OCC Poker Night, at Ellen's.*
Response
[pensive] "He'd say never give up. I'm in for a dime." And with that, Alex went in for a dime, and reaped at least half the pot (5 hours, several beers, and probably half a pizza by myself in to the night, I don't remember exactly which game we were playing). The Tao of Owen never fails.
As noted below, in my only other post, I do love playing cards. From traditional games of Uno and War, to the overnight camp favorite Spit, and the Munster High School Speech and Debate Team favorite, Egyptian Ratscrew**, since the time I could count, I have enjoyed cards. And now that there is actual betting involved, instead of a brief triumph over some poor tweenage girl on a cabin floor (marred of course by the dull back pain Spit elicits, it can really be a physical game), all the better.
Is Owen a friend of mine? I wish. Owen is actually a one year-old dehydrated baby hippo, who got stranded from his herd. When rescued by Kenyans, and taken to a nature preserve, or conservatory, or park (is there a difference? are those all relevant words?), Owen, the lovable scamp he is, lumbered up to Mzee, a tortoise. Reports of Mzee's age vary, but he is certainly over 100, and possibly 120. A real-life "Are You My Mother?" ("No, I'm a 120 year-old male tortoise, but I'll take care of you.). The unlikely duo is doing well, by all accounts. Owen truly epitomizes the Successory I turn to most often in tough times.
* Incidentally, Trixie took all(!), and I won the Texas Hold'em tournament, no doubt to the dismay of many, but ensuring my invitation to the next Poker Night, so all can win their money back.
** Of course, when there were adults around, we'd slyly say we were playing "Egyptian." Not that we knew what "Ratscrew" even meant, not that I do now, and not that it could ACTUALLY equal the sum of its parts.

2 Comments:
Becky, you're going to be a big star. I can sense it. Enjoyed reading the content of your fledgling blog more than I have enjoyed reading countless dozens of scores of hundreds of 'seasoned' bloggers wheezy nonsense.
Oh, forgive my brashness; I am Noonan. I am responsible for 'Cottage Hospital Bulletin'. (My site-meter informed me of your visit!)
Of course, I have absolutely no inkling of what any of your prose means, but don't care; As it is writ right. Right?
You're damn straight. Visit mine again, won't you? I know I'll visit yours.
N. McKane.
Some shameless self-promotion. Pix of Miss Trixie's big night may be found @ http://furcafe.blogspot.com/2005/01/500-block-e-st-ne.html
Post a Comment
<< Home