Paging Captain Obvious
Overheard:
"Only in D.C.!"
In reference to:
an advertising campaign that graced* the walls of many D.C. metro stations this summer. The campaign was a tourism drive for West Virginia, or should I say, West Virginia Wild and Wonderful.**
The ad pictured some sort of very very messy outdoor adventure activity or sport*** and the text, "More dirty laundry than a judicial nominee."
The campaign was targeted, as one might expect, towards D.C. commuters, or at least D.C. tourists who understood that they were, in fact, currently in the bowels of the capital. This touron, apparently, just got a kick out of this snappy campaign. I can see her over Thanksgiving with her extended family, recounting her trip to Washington... [fade to St. Louis] "And we rode on the 'Metro'**** and there was this ad that you would only see in Washington! About the government!"
* And by "graced," I mean, "plastered."
** Because after this ad campaign, I know I don't think of "West Virginia" without thinking "Man, W. Va. is Wild AND Wonderful."
*** You know, just something CRAZY that people do only in West Virginia.
**** Note, in all likelihood, that she will not mention the fact that commuters cursed her every hesitation while walking in crowded areas, and she will not be able to tell her family, "They walk on the left, stand on the right, and step out of the train to let people by and then YOU CAN GET BACK IN." Because she still won't have picked up on these things.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home