Saturday, July 02, 2005

Let the children learn

Overheard:

"I'm telling you, I'm going to take those cameras AWAY!"

Who:

Chaperone for an Eighth-Grade Field Trip (EGFT) to Our Nation's Capital. With such words I have confidence that she effectively squashed any interest the 13-year old guys she was yelling at had in history, politics, fun, and the interaction of those three.

Commentary:

You know, it's hard enough to get a 13-year old guy interested in anything of substance.* On my walk home from work this day through Lafayette Square in front of the White House, I happened upon an EGFT.** Four such above-referenced guys were quickly taking pictures of each other in front of a large statue that's directly in front of the White House, trying to stay in line with their class while taking the pictures. I could see them looking back on those pictures in 10 years and laughing at how silly they were being, and how hot and muggy that damn trip was, but remembering maybe one or two fun details from each scene.*** The Chaperone, however, would have NONE of that. There would ONLY be group pictures, in front of pre-selected monuments and sights. I told the boys in a stern voice that there would be NO fun on this trip. They rolled their eyes with me and slumped off.

I hope they took as many pictures as they wanted. Their Chaperone had it really, really good if that's the biggest thing she had to worry about.


* Not that they grow up that quickly after that.

** It had been a full 15 steps since I happened upon the last EGFT, so timing was about right.

*** When I meet someone new and tell them I live in DC, they usually perk up and say they've been there... but not in a long time. I suggest, perhaps, that the lsat time was an EGFT. It is, by and large, always true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home