Saturday, July 02, 2005

Buffy the Pool Guppy

Overheard:

"Are you a Summer Associate?"

"How could you tell?? I'm that bad at pool??"

Response in my head:

No Sweetie, you look young, impressionable, and misdirected.

Circumstances:

I was recently at Buffalo Billiards for Happy Hour with former co-workers (also government lawyers). The large, stereotypical group next to us was a gaggle of young law firm attorneys and their proteges, making the best of their open tab AND open appetizer bar AND open pool at prime BB hours.*

I WISH I would have overheard someone say "Hey, why are all the guys dressed like lawyers and the girls dressed in jeans and/or** as skanks?" But, we all restrained ourselves. Instead, my friend Pam reached out to a young (if misdirected) girl who we affectionately*** referred to as Buffy, and asked if she was a Summer Associate. Because, she REEKED of Summer Associate****. And, she looked a bit like Sarah Michelle Gellar.

She responded with the above Overheard gem. I don't even know what she was thinking. Are lawyers inherently good at pool? Not in my experience. It's kinda cute that maybe she thought that other than a bad pool shot, she looked like a law firm lawyer -- in her jeans, t-shirt, flip flops, and really really really big smile.



* I sincerely hope our Intern is finding that though he does not have the same amenities this summer with our governemnt office, that... oh never mind. ACE.

** A quasi-grammatical construction that I hate, "and/or" oddly seems appropriate here.

*** Behind her back.

**** It just occured to me know that maybe not all 4 of my readers know what a Summer Associate is. A Summer Associate is a variation on a law student, where for 10 weeks that person is paid approximately $2500/week, for doing basic paralegal research and eating a LOT. I took my turn as a Summer Associate, and on one (magical, magical) day, I spent 7 hours at restaurants, 1.5 hours walking off my discomfort in between restaurants and shopping for a dress with the Summer Associate Coordinator, and 2.5 hours billing. It was, as I stated, magical. And, obnoxious.

1 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss BB so much....many a beer was had. my girlfriend (now wife) lived in a group house off dupont circle on r street... there was the time i got busted by her housemate for bringing my toothbrush for the evening with obvious plans of spending the night. she (housemate) later told the story to our entire wedding contingent the night before we got married....

but back to your point, how can you tell a summer intern? cuz they are so sweet and innocent...unless they are hip to the fact that they are being paid outrageous sums of cash as an obvious enticement to join the firm after law school, at which point they will be paid the same amount of cash, but will be expected to work 80-90 hours a week for it instead of being wined, dined, and shopped. but then, i'm not a lawyer, i only work closely with them and have them as in-laws.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home